Monday, January 26, 2009

Parliament back in session

Relevant Link

Well, the government is back in the house, and a brief throne speech (only 4 pages long) is intentionally vague after the messiness last month.  Why make a broad based plan for the next session if it might only last a few days?  Harper looked quite grim during the speech, and knows that his days in power might be limited.  Many had doubted Ignatieff after his lack of speaking out after proroguing, but in the past week he has really begun to hang the noose around Harper's head.  And the Conservatives are responding by putting in a deficit.  In fact, I would not be surprised in the least if there aren't any broad-based tax cuts, like most Conservatives want.  The Bloc and Liberals are playing it safe by not shooting down the budget right now, while I think that the NDP are merely satisfied with playing to their base by announcing they would vote it down right now.  I don't think the average voter cares for such posturing.  It will be an interesting time the next two days.  Of course, since much of the budget has already been leaked, I can't see there being much more to be said to change an opinion.

Relevant Link

The other big news today is the appointment of a bunch of new senators.  I made a commentary about this before, so I don't think I need to elaborate more.  I don't think the new senators will really strive to make big changes, but I will hedge my bets for now.  A method for senate elections can't happen soon enough.

No comments: